Thursday, January 8, 2009

What Is Black?



A color? A persona that has evolved over time?

Now, that's a good question. "What is Black?" We can't seem to get enough of labeling something or someone as "black". When I say "we", I mean people in general. No matter the ethnicity because it seems that ethnic groups across the board have an oral fixation for verbally labeling things "black". The worst part about it is that there is almost always a negative connotation that follows the usage of the word. Is it me, or when people refer to us doing good, we are "African-American" and when a crime is committed it turns into, "two black men wearing... such and such...haha". I chose to say almost always because I find myself saying,"I love to see other black people doing positive things", but when I sit back and think about it, what does that mean? Ahhhh!!! It's frustrating just thinking about it. I've ask nearly everyone this question and this is the same thing they always say, "Being black is a mix of all the the customs and traditions that have been passed on from generation to generation." (Sound good) But if this were true then why is it that James, who live in the suburbs and knows nothing about soul food and gospel music is faced with the same racial prejudice as Deon, who lives in the inner city and knows nothing about green bean casserole and alternative music?haha. The two things that trip me out the most are when someone who is not of African-American descent but was raised in the "hood" is given the ability to say that they are more black than a black person who wasn't raised in the "hood". Secondly, why is it that a black person who chooses to speak proper English is considered trying to be white?
It's almost like we forget that Martin Luther King and Maya Angelou are two of the most educated and well spoken people of their time, and these are go-to figures when trying to symbolize what black is!!!! How many RocaWear shirts and "Yo! What up my nigga's?" does one person have to display before they are given the respect that they deserve for simply just being in the skin? When I was younger I used to pray that God would move us out of the hood, in hopes that we wouldn't have to struggle as much. Now that I'm somewhat out, how frequently do I have visit just to prove to people that I haven't lost touch? How many rappers and singers must I resemble before you realize that I'm nothing of the sort? You know what I've realized about being black? I've realized that at certain times I'm supposed to be ashamed of who I really am. Mostly when people say things like, "Ow, you ghettooooo!!!" Ghetto? How am I ghetto? See, "ghetto" is like the term "black". It's one of those words that we use but never take the time to analyze what it means. Most people don't even know that the word "ghetto" derives from the Holocaust. Ghettos were European cities or areas that Jewish people were restricted to. So, how can I be ghetto? Just like there is a misconception of the word "ghetto", there is a misconception of the word "black". If you ask me, I would say that African-American is our ethnic group. Black, is the non-politically correct way to describe us as people. Black is that swag, that confidence, that side of us that we reveal without effort so we can more easily identify with those who look just like us no matter where we are in the world. Black is the fabric of our culture. Black is Beautiful. Black is what I am. So, with that said, fade... To Black..

1 comment:

  1. that was deep, it really made me think. Like when they say Afro american I still think they're refering to the hair style that was popular in the 70's lol. personally i like to define myself as african american, because through that description out pours scholars, activist, and leaders. Like you said in your blog when african americans are committing crimes were black. And personally i dont get offended when someone refers to me as black beause the definition of black is lowkey empowering. Black;absorbing light without reflecting any of the rays composing it. And thats how African Americans are in a sence, we have absorbed all the ridicule and prejudices through out history and still have achieved great things with out showing defeat. keep up the good work! -kiki

    ReplyDelete